In the game of hockey, the “saucer pass” or “sauce pass” refers to passing the puck to another player so that it flys in the air flat, floating like a Frisbee or a “flying saucer.”
Scoring / Gameplay
- Points are scored by saucing the pucks from one board to the other board and scoring points into the big white net for 1 point, or the small black net for 3 points.
- Unlike a bean bag toss game using cancellation scoring, each point is added to a team’s score regardless of the opposing team.
- Each player will sauce 3 consecutive pucks during their respective turn.
- The round is complete after all players have completed their turn.
- The player whose partner scored the most points on their previous turn will be the first player to sauce.
- A Sauce Toss game shall be played until the first team reaches (or exceeds) 21 points at the completion of a round.
- The winning team does not need to win by two or more points.
- A Sauce Toss game can never end in the middle of a round. For example, if a team saucing first reaches or exceeds 21 points, the game cannot end until the other side is allowed to sauce all of their pucks and the round is completed.
- If the Sauce Toss game is tied at 21 or more at the end of a round, play continues until one team or the other achieves a higher score at the end of a round and wins the game.
- At all times, if a puck hits a post and stays on the board, the puck should be cleared off the board so it does not interfere with the following shot.
- Just like the game of hockey, pucks do not have to stay in the net to be counted a goal.
- If the puck is sauced from one board and lands directly on the other board, there can be no interference with the puck.
- If the defender interferes with a puck landing directly on the board, it results in 3 points for the opposing team.
- The only time the opposing player may play defense, using only their stick to block, is if the puck does not land directly on the board, ie. bounces, skips, or rolls.
- Boards are to be placed 20 feet apart.
The Melted Cup Trophy will be engraved and awarded to the winning team of the tournament.